James Herbert, B.A., M.A., LL.B.
Known in the legal community for bringing complicated cases to a satisfactory resolution.
He has been a partner with Chappell Partners LLP since 2000. A persuasive advocate, he has appeared in all levels of court in Ontario, in family law and civil litigation matters.
Jim has been chair of the Ontario Bar Association’s Family Law Institute program on two occasions.
Jim has presented at OBA and Law Society continuing education programs.
On April 30, 2019, Jim presented a paper at an Osgoode Hall Law School program, “Advanced and Complex Issues in Property & Equalization.”
On June 19, 2019, Jim presented a paper at the Law Clerks of Ontario’s Continuing Legal Education Advanced Family Law program.
For many years, Jim has been the editor of O’Brien’s Encyclopedia of Forms – family law volume.
Jim has extensive experience in family law, including marriage contracts, divorce issues including separation agreements and child custody matters.
Jim has long experience in civil litigation. He has successfully litigated wrongful dismissal, defamation, collections, construction, and other civil claims.
Originally from Alberta, Jim has lived in Toronto for over thirty years.
- B.A. (University of Alberta)
- M.A. (University of Toronto)
- LL.B. (Osgoode Hall)
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Family Lawyers Association
- Shareholder Remedies in Family Law, The Six-Minute Family Law Lawyer, LSUC CPD (2014)
- Do’s and Don’ts of Marriage Contracts and Cohabitation Agreements, Bread and Butter Issues in Family Law, OBA CPD (2013)
- Disability Pensions and the Equalization of Net Family Property, OBA CLE (2009)
- Defending the Unjust Enrichment Claim
- The Effect of Immigration Sponsorship Agreements on Spousal Support Claims
- Cozzi v. Smith, 2017 ONCA 50 (CanLII)
- Cozzi v. Smith, 2016 CarswellOnt 5839
- Marshall v. Collins, 2015 CarswellOnt 6499
- Henderson v. Casson, 2014 CarswellOnt 1259
- Abernethy v. Peacock, 2013 CarswellOnt 4529