Tax Deductibility of Legal Fees in Support Cases

Tax Tip

January 12, 2018

Tax filing season will shortly be upon us.  How may this impact those who are involved in, or in 2017 have concluded, a family law case?

Legal fees paid for family law matters are generally not tax deductible.  However, an exception may be available to recipients of support who, in the previous tax year, have obtained an Order or reached an agreement in which they are the recipients of support. Read More…

Inclusionary Zoning and Affordable Housing

What is Ontario doing to respond to the surging prices for housing?

March 21, 2017

With prices rising rapidly in markets such as Toronto, affordable housing is becoming more and more of an issue.  The implementation of “Inclusionary Zoning”, a relatively new concept, is aimed at helping to increase the stock of affordable housing.

December 8, 2016 marked the day that Bill 7, the Promoting Affordable Housing Act 2016, was passed by the Ontario Legislature and received Royal Assent. The question now is how will the Bill 7 amendments to the Planning Act R.S.O. 1990 (the “Act”) affect not only developers, but municipalities, the housing market, and most importantly the consumers. Unfortunately without speculating, it is too early to tell. However, it is clear that the amendments will spark debate. The regulations, still to follow, will provide the necessary detail to better evaluate the impact of Bill 7.

Read More…

Appeal Court Makes Rare Finding of Incompetent Counsel

February 28, 2017

Parties who lose cases often blame their lawyers. “If my lawyer had done a decent job, I would have won.”

My observations over 25 years lead me to conclude that the majority of these claims are unfair. Frequently the client uses the lawyer as a scapegoat so the client can avoid any responsibility for the loss.

However, there are exceptions. Sometimes, it is the lawyer’s fault. Sometimes, the client has every reason to be angry at the lawyer.

Read More…