Known in the legal community for bringing complicated cases to a satisfactory resolution.
He has been a partner with Chappell Partners LLP since 2000. A persuasive advocate, he has appeared in all levels of court in Ontario, in family law and civil litigation matters.
Jim is active in professional organizations such as the Ontario Bar Association (OBA) and Law Society of Upper Canada. Since 2009, he has organized an annual OBA program called “Bread and Butter Issues in Family Law.”
He has been chair of the OBA’s Family Law Institute on two occasions. Jim has presented at OBA and Law Society continuing education programs. Jim is the editor of O’Brien’s Encyclopedia of Forms – family law volume.
Jim has extensive experience in family law, including marriage contracts, divorce issues including separation agreements and child custody matters. And he is an expert in civil litigation, including estates litigation, defamation, wrongful dismissal, shareholder disputes, collections and construction law.
Originally from Alberta, Jim has lived in Toronto for over thirty years.
- B.A. (University of Alberta)
- M.A. (University of Toronto)
- LL.B. (Osgoode Hall)
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Advocate’s Society
- Shareholder Remedies in Family Law, The Six-Minute Family Law Lawyer, LSUC CPD (2014)
- Do’s and Don’ts of Marriage Contracts and Cohabitation Agreements, Bread and Butter Issues in Family Law, OBA CPD (2013)
- Disability Pensions and the Equalization of Net Family Property, OBA CLE (2009)
- Defending the Unjust Enrichment Claim
- The Effect of Immigration Sponsorship Agreements on Spousal Support Claims